Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I was bored last night

So I made this.

It was a belt. Now it's my first real strap. I own another leather strap that I bought off eBay, but it's cheap and too light for anything other than a warmup.


It's 18 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. The leather was a bit stiff, so I soaked in in neatsfoot oil. Now it's soft and very supple.

Oh and if you were wondering...


...that is a Jesus fish. A friend gave it to me years ago. It was a nice gesture, but I'm not a Christian. At least this way I'll finally get some use out of it.

Now I just need to try it out.

3 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    That's a lovely strap. I like leather.

    18 inches is quite long, and it might wrap when you use it - that isn't nice. You might want to try doubling up the end you hold so it is a bit shorter, just for starters, until you're sure of your control.

    Welcome to blogging!
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind reels with sacrilegious comments, but I'll behave myself for once.

    Hermione is quite correct -- wrapping, bad. But leather straps, good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hermoine and Erica, thank you for checking out my blog. The way I hold it leaves about a foot of strap. It still could wrap but I suppose that depends on how it's used. I'll have to try it out and see. I figure it will be much easier to make it shorter rather than longer ;)

    ReplyDelete